Saving Christmas Dinner at Freshwater Place
The value of an AE Smith preventative maintenance contract was recently proven to the managers of Melbourne’s Freshwater Place
We had a very serious situation [the week before Christmas] when the kitchen extraction fan motor seized and [two restaurants] were full of smoke. Your service technician Lucas Thomas arrived in an extremely short time, he identified a fault and took action… I am extremely happy with [Lucas and his team’s] performance and professional attitude
In the days leading up to Christmas, AE Smith received an urgent call from Freshwater Place Facility Manager, Mike Zverina. The main kitchen exhaust system had failed and the area was full of smoke.
The AE Smith team, Lucas Thomas, Refrigeration Mechanic, Paul Strong, Mechanical Fitter, and Gordon Sellers, First Year Apprentice, quickly arrived on the scene and diagnosed the fault.
As a critical moment, the situation posed the risk of setting off alarms and evacuation of residents in the floors above.
Matthew Scarman, Account Manager for AE Smith’s Victorian Service team believes the response was so fast thanks to the three-year preventative maintenance contract in place.
“It allows us to respond to break down calls faster, because we know the client’s system and can quickly identify faults,” he said. “Often we know how to fix the problem before we even arrive at the scene.”
In this case, a motor in the exhaust system of the main kitchen had overloaded and blown up. This shut down the extraction system, which meant no cooking equipment could be used.
The AE Smith service team subsequently borrowed a spare motor from Crown Melbourne, another AE Smith client, and had the system back up and running the same evening. The 350kg motor was hoisted in place in record time, ready to meet the demands of the large dinner crowd.
“Within four hours it was fixed. This is a job that usually takes about a day and a half,” said Matthew.
Dinner served with professional service
In an email to AE Smith, Freshwater Place Facility Manager, Mike Zverina said, “We had a very serious situation yesterday afternoon when the kitchen extraction fan motor seized and M&W and TGIF were full of smoke. Your service technician Lucas Thomas arrived in an extremely short time, he identified a fault and took action. He has arranged a spare motor and another two technicians to help him with replacement and installation. It was done within four hours and all restaurants were fully operational at 7pm. I am extremely happy with their performance and professional attitude.”
“Having a maintenance contract in place means our customers can rely on high levels of service, fast response and a team with knowledge of their systems and needs,” said Matthew.